Naija Living: Arts and Crafts Village Abuja

November 04, 2016

Hello lovelies, it's been a while. I got a bit swamped with preparations for school and I apologize.
During my last holidays, I visited National Council for Arts and Culture Abuja popularly known as Arts and Crafts Village. It actually turned out to be an amazing place.


One of the common words in Nigeria now is "recession". Everybody is complaining about it and everyone has been affected in one way or the other. The state of the "Naira" is quite disheartening to millions of Nigerians. But I'm not here to discuss politics or economics, I'm just here to talk about lifestyle. In this craze, I noticed a hash tag on social media #buynaijatogrowthenaira. It got me thinking, "is this really a solution?" So I decided to visit the Art village, to see how Nigerians behave towards their homemade items.


The place is more like a mini market for Nigerian-made art products, with stalls built as huts. Frankly, I like the choice of huts as stalls, because it is something indigenous to us. Some of the things you can find there are different African Jewelry, baskets, fans, paintings, sculpture, carvings in wood, ivory and iron, different bags.





Some goods caught my attention like the stuffed crocodiles which I thought were carved out of wood, only for me to be told that they were made from real crocodiles. Then I also saw cheetah skin, snakeskin and wonderful quality bags made from crocodile and snakeskin. There were briefcases in strong leather, wonderful pieces were made in ankara like, schoolbags, phone cases, i-pad, laptop covers, notebooks and even Bible covers.




Sadly, most of the visitors there were foreigners. They seemed more interested in our products than we are. We'd rather spend millions on foreign products and debate the originality of it than patronize our very own artists and producers. If you're thinking of decorating your house, add an African touch! Visit and get African edgy and beautiful pieces for your wardrobe and collection.


  I've joined this campaign, buy Nigerian-made, patronize Naija and grow the naira. The giveaway is still on, check my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sharonn_oh/
I'll announce the winner in my next blog post, so keep checking and remember the selection will be random.

Remain Stylish
Love, Sharon.







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts