Weddings and the "overdressing" issue.

April 29, 2016

Whenever events such as weddings arise, people are always under pressure to look their best. This pressure sometimes leads them to put much effort or just to overdo.
Recently, I attended a wedding in Owerri at the Imo Concord Hotel. I carefully observed other attendees and their attires. I saw people struggling in outfits that nobody forced them to wear.
My heart went out to the ladies on ridiculously high heels. I'll take out time and talk about choosing the right shoes for any occasion, but I'll say this now.
 Whenever, you are choosing shoes for any occasion, consider the mode of transportation. 
I can remember another wedding I attended sometime last month and I wore a relatively balanced lower heel and a few people asked me, Oh Sharon, why didn't you wear higher heels for this outfit? The truth is, people want you to dress according to status quo, but they won't carry the pain and discomfort for you. Whilst choosing that particular shoe, my comfort was all I could think about and in the end I think that's what is important.
Please don't come to someone's wedding and steal their show. Ah! I've seen things at weddings ooo. Imagine someone with an overtowering headgear, which later pushed down wedding decorations. It's not really a time to wear trains that are longer than the bride's. Some wear tight-fitting dresses and find it difficult to breathe after the reception's meal. You should be comfortable in your outfit, only then can you radiate confidence. When picking out an outfit, I consider all the things that could possibly happen. Will I walk comfortably in this shoe? Is this dress too tight? Is my hair going to get undone? Is the necklace too heavy? Is this cloth too hot for the weather? and so on.
"Dressing well is a form of good manners", it's not just a quote. You are a guest and it is courtesy for you to behave well, and dressing moderately is a step. I'm not saying you should show up in T-shirt and slippers, dress moderately. Keep it simple but make it count!
The quote from Oscar Wilde; "you can never be too overdressed or overeducated" has been used as an excuse for overdressing. I think "overdressed" should not be taken literally. It means that you can't be said to be looking too good at any point in time or that you can never be too classy. 

The weekend is here again, keep this in mind as you select your outfit for that wedding. Flashy isn't classy! Keep it simple but significant. I'll end with this quote from Cary Grant - "All it takes are a few simple outfits. And there's one secret- the simpler the better"

Remain stylish
Love, Sharon.


You Might Also Like

8 comments

Popular Posts